Monday, September 24, 2012

Monday Project - Crocheted Fall Leaves


These quick and easy fall leaves are based on a common way of making leaves for Irish crochet.  I started out trying to develop them into a maple leaf - it didn't quite work out, but I think these are great!  I'm still working on that maple leaf, though ...

Materials:
*embroidery floss - one skein will make one leaf with a little left over
*size 4 crochet hook

1.  Chain 16.  In the second chain from the hook, single crochet.  Single crochet all the way down to the end.  Do not turn around - you'll be going up the opposite side of the chain.  Chain 2 and single crochet in the same chain you made your last single crochet in.  So now, the last chain should have 1 sc, 2 ch, 1 sc.  Continue working single crochet up the opposite side of the chain until you are three chains from the top.  Stop here.  The remaining chains will form the top point of your leaf.


2.  Chain 2.  Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and in each single crochet back down in the direction the arrow is pointing, until you get to the chain 2 space.  Single crochet in the chain 2 space.  Chain 2.  Continue single crochet until you are 3 spaces from the top.


3.  Your leaf should look like this.  Chain 2.  Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and in each single crochet back down in the direction the arrow is pointing, until you reach the chain 2 space.  Single crochet in the chain 2 space.  Continue single crochet until you are 4 spaces from your last leaf point.


4.  Now your leaf will look like this.  Chain 2.  Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and continue single crochets in the direction the arrow is pointing, again stopping at the chain 2 space.  Single crochet in the chain 2 space.  Continue single crocheting until you are 4 spaces from your last leaf point. 


5.  This will give you a top leaf point and two lower leaf points on each side.  Continue working in the same way until you have 4 lower leaf points on each side.  After making your last leaf point, continue single crochet to the chain 2 space.  Single crochet in this space.


6.  To make the stem, chain 6.  Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and in the rest of the chains in the direction of the arrow.  Single crochet onto the body of the leaf.


7.  Slip stitch in the next space.  This is the one I've put a black dot on.  Fasten thread off.


8.  Here is a completed leaf.  They roll up a bit - you can steam iron or block them if you'd rather have them be flat.


9.  With leftover thread from one of the other leaves you make, sew a running stitch up the center of the leaf for a vein.


I should warn you - these are addictive!  I have a small pile already!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

22 comments:

  1. this is very nice post. i havent done any chrochet in ages , but this makes me wannto try !


    http://babyemilycloset.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah, your crocheted fall leaves are beautiful - I love the Fall and I love to crochet. I'm crocheting pumpkins and also sewing them, these leaves will
    look fabulous with them for a center piece, thanks so much for sharing this great tutorial, I can't wait to make your leaves, all the best, Michelle
    I picked anonymous, because I don't understand all the other profiles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tutorial, I've tried to make these leaves before and I didn't understand. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it ok to post this to pinterest? I think lots of people would like to see them; they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! great I will also post to my pinterest and please feel free to follow my pinterest. NIce to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you need Cochineal I used to process it and still have a lot Contact me at naprexec4@gmail.com There are no coincidences in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'll probably do that this fall :)

      Delete
  7. Thought you might like these leaves also:
    http://www.favecrafts.com/Autumn/Autumn-Leaves-Wreath-Crochet-Pattern/ct/1
    In the meantime, I'm about to raid my husband's supply of embroidery floss and try to locate my crochet hooks. These look like something that can be done fast. Great take-along project! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you figure out how to make the maple leaves? I have been searching the internet but can't find one that i pretty that I like! Help would be appreciated! My email is megz.write@gmail.com if you have a patter I would appreciate an 'how-to'. I found these on etsy http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/maple-leaf-motifs-irish-crochet but would like to make them myself. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't done the maple leaves yet! I'll try to get those figured out this fall.

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for posting this! Love the shape of the leaves. I plan to try with the embroidery floss and also yarn. I think with a worsted weight cotton yarn, they might be big enough to be used as coasters. The thought of having autumn leaves laying around on the tables amuses me. Autumn is my favorite time of year. :-)

    Wishing you the best, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just lovely. Making some to go with my teeny tiny pumpkins. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to try. They look wonderful. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks very nice! I am currently looking for nice fall crochet pattern and added yours to my list right away! :-)

    Take care
    Anne
    http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just what I was looking for, thank you! I did them in wool for an alternative christmas wreath, and rang the changes by trying a 12 ch start or even 10 and doing 3 points instead of 4 to give a smaller leaf. I also only used the outer loop of each dc, because I like the patterning that gives it. Very successful, this one is a keeper, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The maple leaf can be made just like the Irish crochet vine leaf - by joining three or 5 small leaves together. I love them in cotton yarn (Sugar & Cream) as a dish cloth, hot pad or center piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hola Deborah buscando tejer unas hojas de otono me encontre su pagina aunque esta en ingles la he podido entender me dio mucho placer hacerlas para un trabajo le doy las gracias por comartir el tutorial yo soy cubana pero vivo en Miami y me apasiona tejer Dio la bendiga tiene maravillosas manos un saludo Maria

    ReplyDelete