Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Refashioning - Dyeing

One of the simplest ways to refashion fabric items is to dye them - one of my favorite things to do!  These pieces all began as plain white finds from Goodwill.  I forgot to take before pictures - just imagine them white!  I used fiber reactive Procion Dyes (I order them from Dharma Trading Company) and these instructions.

I used Kingfisher Blue for this shirt.  It dyes a nice chambray color - and this shirt has little white dots that didn't pick up the dye as well, so it has some nice contrast.


This is a thicker cotton knit fabric cardigan that I dyed with Plum and then changed the buttons out to my favorite pearl ones.  Oddly enough I end up wearing cardigans more in the summer in Phoenix than the winter!  Most places around here are air conditioned to arctic frigid.



This gorgeous tablecloth was on a $1 close out - granted, it did look pretty plain in white.  I dyed it with a mixture of 3 parts Peach and 1 part Terracotta and did not leave it in the dye for the full amount of time - I just kept an eye on it until it got a little darker than what I wanted.  It has a beautiful handmade look - it's machine made, though!



After a short break from the rainbow washcloths I'm back working on them!  Next week I'll have the second to last one.

Happy Creating!  Deborah

2 comments:

  1. Never thought of doing that. Does it have to be cotton to take the dye?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Procion Dyes work on natural fibers - cotton, rayon, and hemp all dye beautifully with it.

    ReplyDelete