Creating Everyday Art
Monday, April 1, 2013
Crocheted Poppy Leaves
It took awhile, but I have a leaf for my crocheted poppies that I'm happy with! Poppy leaves are a little ferny looking - they're not solid and that's what was causing me problems. So today I have the leaf tutorial and Wednesday I'll show you how I put the poppies and leaves together for a free-form doily.
*size 10 crochet thread in a lighter green
*size 7 steel crochet hook
1. Loosely chain 19. Single crochet in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain. 18 stitches in all. Single crochet in the same stitch, turn chain and single crochet in each chain on the opposite side.
2. This is where you should be.
3. Single crochet in the end and then in the next 4 stitches - continuing in the same direction you've been going. Chain 4.
4. Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and in the next 2 chains. Single crochet to the next two stitches on the stem.
5. Chain 5. Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and in the next three chains. Single crochet in the next two stitches on the stem.
6. Repeat step 5. Chain 4. Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and the next two stitches.
7. Chain 3. Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and the remaining chain. Slip stitch in the next 11 stitches on the stem.
8. Add fronds to the other side in the reverse order. (Chain 3, 2 sc in chains; sc in next two stem stitches; chain 4, 3 sc in chains; sc in next two stem stitches; *chain 5, 4 sc in chains; sc in next two stem stitches*; repeat between *'s once; chain 4, 3 sc in chains) Slip stitch into next stitch on chain and fasten off.
9. Use a tapestry needle to weave the ends in.
Happy Creating! Deborah
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Hello! I just wanted to thank you for going to the trouble to make tutorials. I am really new at crochet, and left-handed to boot. I barely know how to successfully get a chain started, and barely am able to turn around with it to start a new row, but it is very relaxing and fun. I hope I'll soon be able to make poppy leaves, they look really cute.ReplyDelete