Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday Sewing - Halloween Embroidery, Part 2 (Mitered Corners)


I put the Halloween embroidery patterns I shared with you on Monday onto cotton cloth I then made into napkins. When it works out, I like to embroider the fabric before I cut it into pieces for the napkins - that way I can fill my embroidery hoop with cloth and not have edges of the napkins that I can't catch onto it. I used a 100 percent cotton, little bit open weave fabric known as Osnaburg. It's very soft, has a slight "homespun" look, and inexpensive. I bought mine at Joanne's for $5.99 a yard (and that's the price before I use the 50% off coupon). Osnaburg was originally woven from flax (linen) and has been around for several centuries. I like its feel, that it takes dye really well, and the price!

See last Monday's post here for the embroidery patterns and instructions.

1.  If you are going to work on one piece of cloth, first draw the napkins on it with a pencil.  I like to make mine 13 inches square - this allows for 1/2 inch on each side for hemming.  After embroidering all the napkins, move to step 2.


2.  Cut napkins apart on the lines you drew.  To make a mitered hem, iron 1/4 inch under on each edge.  Open up each corner and cut across the point - I drew a line in purple to show you where this is.


3.  When your napkin edging folds back down, it should look like this.


4.  Open each corner and iron under 1/4 inch.  Iron original 1/4 inch hem in place, turn under another 1/4 inch and iron in place, working with the corners until they make a nice miter like the one below.


5.  Top stitch on the right side to hem each edge.



6.  Iron and fold!


We're liking these so much, I'm thinking of making some for Christmas and just for every day!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment