|Bok Hee Lee, Yellow Wrapping Cloth, 2009. Linen.|
*1 yard of a silky fabric that has the same design on both sides - make a narrow hem. See this past post for a tutorial on hemming sheer/silky fabrics.
*ribbon, a string of beads, silk flower, or Christmas decoration
1. Lay fabric out on a large flat surface with the turned under hem facing up.
2. Lay the present to be wrapped diagonally in the center of the fabric.
3. Lift up two opposite corners and tie in a square knot on top of the present.
4. Pick up the remaining two corners and repeat.
5. Add a decoration, if you want!
Two Bottle Wrap:
1. Lay two bottles of wine about 1/4 of the way in from one corner with their ends about 3 inches apart.
2. Fold corner over bottles.
3. Roll fabric around the bottles.
4. Pull the two ends together while standing the bottles upright.
5. Tie in a square knot.
6. Add a decoration!
In Japan, wrapping gifts with fabric is called Furoshiki. I found this great chart on the Japanese embassy website with a lot of other folding and tying options:
Wednesday I'll have the last of the fabric based gift wrap I came up with this year.
Happy Creating (and present wrapping)! Deborah