With my sewing machine still in the repair shop, I'm getting caught up on several other fiber projects I've had sitting around for awhile! After a two day Goodwill shopping spree, I gathered several crocheted doilies and table runners with the plan of dying them.
Most of these were marked down to $1.00 and were in great condition except for a few spots and some questionable colors.
The spots are no problem - the dye covers them easily.
The questionable colors are sometimes challenging! After starting off dying the white and off-white ones, I tackled the long variegated yellow/orange piece. Dye is transparent, so the color is affected by whatever color the piece you're working with already has. My hope with this one was that the blue I used (Blueberry) would be dark enough to cover the lighter yellow spots and that the orange areas would be brown, leaving it a variegated blue/brown. I got the first part of my wish, but instead of the orange areas turning brown they turned an odd greenish brown. You never know with dying! So this is likely destined for the dark brown or black dye pot.
I used Procion Dyes from Dharma Trading Company and basic dying instructions are in a past post here. For this piece, I used Terracotta ....
..... this one Yucca ....
.... this one Kingfisher Blue ....
.... and this one has a story! I wanted a darker rose color, tried Rose Red - nope, much too bright. So I removed it from the dye bath pretty quickly and tried a few quick dunks Light Mist with some shirts I was dying. Even worse! A third try in Clear Sky gave me a nice blue, so I'm happy now.
Happy Creating! Deborah
Post a Comment