Friday, January 26, 2018

Friday Inspiration - The Silk Paintings of Muza Kirnizkaya

Recently, I was looking at silk painting techniques and came across some amazing work by Ukrainian silk/batik artist Muza Kirnizkaya.


I can't find out much about her except that she's been working with silk for at least 40 years.  She has a website here and a Flickr page here with many of her designs.


I think one of the most intriguing things about her work is the way she works with value.  The forest scene below has so much light play going on, giving it depth and texture - and also a magical look and feel!


There are several videos you can watch from this page showing Muza working and teaching workshops.  Even though I couldn't understand what was being said (in Russian?), it was fascinating to watch her process and very interesting to look at what tools she used.

These make me want to get out my silk paints, even though I already have too much going on!  If you're interested in getting a start with silk painting, I have a series of beginning lessons starting here.

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment