Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Inspiration - Ferne Jacobs

Carousel, 2008.  Coiled wax linen thread, Brooklyn Museum.
Ferne Jacobs' art is sometimes described as "basketry", but is usually put into the fiber arts category.  Where ever you put it, her work is amazing!  She began exhibiting her coiled, waxed linen thread sculptures in the 1970's, using a very old technique of twisting and wrapping.  

Snow Circles, 2009.






I enjoy the fluid movement of her pieces and the way she uses color.

I found two very interesting interviews with her where she talks about her heritage and her inspirations - a Smithsonian Archives of American Art oral history from 2005 here and this one from 2008 on Buzzine.

Collar, 2005.  Brooklyn Museum.


One of the best things I found out while looking at her art is that she has several pieces in the Brooklyn Museum - and I'll be in New York soon for a few days!  I'll definitely be seeing her work in person.

Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment:

  1. While in college Ferne Jacobs was my inspiration, that has been many years now and I have developed my own sense of style. I still love Ferne jacobs work and am glad to run across it from time to time. Here is a link to some of my current work. www.mtbaskets.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete