Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday Inspiration - A Different Way to Repurpose Clothing!

I came across two new artists this week via TheCooList.  Guerradelapaz is the name used by Cuban born artists Alain Guerra and Neraldo de la Paz.  Now living in Florida, they work in a very unusual medium - discarded clothing!  Here are a few examples of their work to whet your curiosity!  Be sure to take a look at their gallery - it's quite extensive and very, very interesting.


The folding and twisting on the tree above is beautiful - it's amazing the amount of texture they got.  And totally different textures on the mushroom cloud below. 


I love spending time poking around Goodwill, looking for clothing to repurpose.  They arrange the clothes by color, so when I saw this I had to laugh!  I always do end up thinking of rainbows as I'm walking up and down the aisles.


When my youngest son, Alex, was working on his BFA in sculpture, he repurposed ties for these pieces, Hired and Fired.

Alex Schlegel, Hired, 2009.
Alex Schlegel, Fired, 2009.

Alex has a unique and fresh perspective on life/art - I'd enjoy his work even if I wasn't his mother!  Take a look at his website for other pieces in his portfolio.

Happy Creating!  Deborah

2 comments:

  1. Super nice post, love the rainbow style!! How Creative,, Thanks for sharing & Spreading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! These were really great pieces of art. Am checking out both sites!

    ReplyDelete