Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Embroidered Leaf

It's finished and framed!  I'm not as happy with the frame size as I thought I'd be, so it'll probably be getting a slightly larger home, but for now it's staying where it is.

For this project, I found a leaf that was in the process of turning colors, but still had some green left on it.  I traced it onto a scrap piece of white Kona cotton with a hard pencil and lightly drew in a few of the veins.

I chose a few colors of embroidery thread that came close to the colors on the leaves and then some others for accent colors.

I embroidered along the lines with an outline stitch ...

... used single chain or lazy daisy stitches to add in the green areas ....

... and then the rust areas.

To add more texture, I embroidered on a few buttonhole wheels (good instructions here) ...

... and some french knots.

I'm planning on having an area of nature inspired embroideries on one of the walls in our bedroom!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully done. As you said, the frame should have been a little bigger.