Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wednesday Sewing - Halloween Costumes!

There are two holidays that you have to start thinking about way ahead of time and they happen to be my two favorite - Christmas and Halloween!  I've been looking around the net for costume ideas and thought you might like to see what I've found.



Simplicity has their Halloween costume patterns online - no more having the size you need gone from the stores' inventory!  I hadn't seen this one before - an apron costume.  Having spent many years dressing our kids for trick-or-treating in Montana, I can see how this might be a good solution to the "how to show your costume when you have to wear a heavy coat" problem.




I also found this great adult Alice in Wonderland pattern there.  I'd sew one of these for me if I were going to a costume party!





McCall/Butterick patterns are also on-line.  McCalls has put out an on-line Halloween costume idea book that's definitely worth taking a look at.


And Butterick has a line of historical patterns I hadn't seen before - I don't think they're listed in the store catalogs.  Quite a few historical eras are featured, often with accessories like these hats.




If you're thinking of a historical era costume or one from another culture, be sure to look at the Folkwear Patterns website.  And they have quite a few children's patterns also, like this one from Japan.



These patterns for a flamenco dress and a belly-dancing outfit looked fun!  And more authentic than the regular pattern company versions.  Of course that probably means more complicated to sew, also!


There are even some fun crochet patterns!  And the pieces are small enough that you won't go completely crazy trying to get them done before the end of October.  This lacy mask is gorgeous!  It's a free pattern on Craftdisasters.


And how cute is this Hungry Caterpillar baby costume!  I'm definitely making this for the next baby in the family!  There isn't a pattern, but Patrice on Lemon Tree Creations walks through how she made it.


I'd never thought of it before, but some of those cute crocheted kids hats could be the great start for a costume.  And they'd also work for those cold climate Halloween nights.  This Viking bearded hat is great!  There are quite a few patterns out there for Viking hats, but this one from Craftown (designed by Ester Leavitt) was one of the few free ones I could find.

Same with this Angry Birds hat pattern by Amy.

Last I heard, little c was thinking of being a doctor this year.  Which is originally what I went on-line to look at when I got side tracked.  Back to the search engines!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment