First I needed to find all the components that are in the song - a gate (I know, it looks more like a fence!), five pumpkins with the appropriate facial expressions, a flying witch, and a light. I added in an old tree, the moon, and stars to make a nice picture! I was able to find great illustrations by Googling "vintage (subject) postcards" or "vintage (subject) illustrations." To start composing the collage, I copied the images onto a PowerPoint slide - I've found it's an easy way to manipulate images. I made a guess at the size they needed to be and cropped everything off except for the image I wanted. There wasn't any need to remove the extra illustrations around the image since I knew I'd be cutting the image out.
When I had a few images, I printed them off (in black and white since I'm stingy with my color ink!), roughly cut them out and started arranging them on the shirt. This let me know if I had the sizing right or if some needed to be adjusted a bit more.
When I had all the images, I arranged them on two pages and printed them off onto ink jet prepared fabric, using the "Best" setting on my printer. There are lots of different products you can use! I use Blumenthal Craft PhotoFabric - mainly because it's easy to get at the Joann's near me and not too badly priced when I use a 40% off coupon. The picture to the left shows silk habotai, but for this project I used the cotton poplin. With this brand, you let the ink dry, rinse the fabric under cold water for 30 seconds, and iron to dry, with no steam.
I then attached the fabric to one full sheet of Steam-a-Seam II, trimming off the extra. Then it was time to sit down with my sharp, little scissors and a good movie and start cutting all the little pieces out! A few hours later, I removed the backing from the pieces, arranged them on the shirt, and ironed to attach. When I put fabric onto other fabric this way, I usually embroider around the edges with embroidery floss and a blanket stitch. In this case, most of the pieces were so small, I didn't think that would work, so I made sure everything was ironed down well. And I'll cross my fingers that everything stays attached - it should!
If you'd like to make this same shirt, the sheets of vintage images I used are here and here.
Happy Creating! Deborah