Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Snowflake Applique Pillow
Well, Thanksgiving's done and now the push is on for getting all my Christmas preparations finished. One of my goals this year was to make Christmas-themed appliqued pillows - here's one finished! It uses the same snowflake pattern as the snowflake ornament posted about here.
*two pieces of plaid fabric: one that is 22 by 22 inches and one that is 22 by 23 inches
*small piece of white faux suede material
*size 5 ecru perle embroidery cotton
*22 inch invisible zipper
*20 inch pillow form
*snowflake pattern found here
1. Print off the snowflake pattern and cut them out. Cut out two large snowflakes from the faux suede and one small snowflake. Pin to the 22 x 22 inch piece of fabric and sew on using a blanket stitch.
2. Take the 22 x 23 inch piece of fabric and cut it in half so that you have two 22 x 11.5 inch pieces. Open up the zipper and place the right side of the zipper to the right side of one piece of fabric, lining up the zipper tape edge with the fabric edge and pointing the teeth toward the fabric. Line the top zipper stops up about 1 inch below the top of the fabric. Repeat with the other side of the zipper and the other piece of fabric. Baste in, test to see your zipper is in right, and sew in place using an invisible zipper foot. See this past post for a more detailed tutorial on sewing with invisible zippers. The instructions for this pillow will differ a little, but the basic steps are the same.
3. Tack the zipper on the bottom about 1 inch up from the bottom of the fabric and trim off the excess tape.
4. Pin the right sides of the pillow fabric together, making sure to line up the edges on the top and bottom of the zipper piece.
5. Sew together with a 1/4 inch seam. Trim corners, turn and press.
6. Hand sew the gaps above and below the zipper closed with a matching color of thread.
7. Top stitch all the way around the edge of the pillow, in a matching or contrasting thread 5/8 inches from the edge.
On to the next pillow!
Happy Creating! Deborah