Last fall, I made Christmas themed coasters that turned out to be too small for the large Christmas mugs we like to use. So this year, I went big! These felt coasters should work with about any cup and would also look nice under candles. They're totally machine sewn the way I made them, however, you could also sew the pieces together with a blanket stitch and make them completely hand sewn.
*Green, red, white, and yellow felt
*patterns found here
1. Using the patterns, for each coaster cut 1 leaf base from green, 1 flower base from red or white, 6 petals from red or white, and 1 center from yellow. Notice that there is a dot on one of the petals on the leaf base and on the flower base. Use a pin to mark this petal - you'll be matching them up later on.
2. Take the flower base and fold it into fourths. Mark the center with a Sharpie (don't worry - it won't show).
3. Take one petal. Pin it onto the base so that the bottom point is on the center dot you made and the top point goes between two of the base petals. Sew into place as shown.
4. Repeat with the other five petals.
5. Pin the center onto the flower where the petals come together. Sew into place.
6. Matching the petals on the leaf base and flower base that have a dot, pin the two bases together. Sew together by sewing along the edge of the petals on the flower base.
7. Trim the leaf base as needed.
Here are the finished coasters ....
Happy Creating! Deborah