Creating Everyday Art
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Wednesday Sewing - Bunny Basket
There's something about bunnies that just makes you smile! Here's a felt bunny basket that's fairly quick and very easy to make. I made it a little bit shallow so whatever was put inside would be visible - on the pattern, I've given you an option to make it a little deeper. You'd probably want it deeper if it was going to be transporting real eggs!
*assorted colors of felt - I used cream for the bunny, ear backs, and handle, dark pink for the basket liner and ear fronts and nose, and light pink for the bunny's muzzle
*sew-on googly eyes
*pattern found here
1. Cut six pattern pieces from your bunny color. Pin two sections together and sew, stopping about 1/4 inch from the pointed end.
2. Continue in this way until all pieces are sewn together. When sewing the last pieces together (the ones that connect it together), sew across the point and an inch or two up the previous sewing. This will give you a bottom that's easier to flatten.
3. Turn seams to the inside and form into a bowl shape.
4. On one of the sections, sew on eyes and muzzle. Cut a triangle from felt and sew it on. Use an outline stitch to embroider whiskers.
5. Cut six pattern pieces from basket lining color and repeat steps 1 and 2. Turn seams to the outside and form into a bowl shape. Pin the two pieces together, matching seams.
6. Sew top edge with a blanket stitch.
7. Using pattern, cut two ears backs and two ear fronts. Pin each ear front to an ear back.
8. Sew around the curved edge with a blanket stitch. Fold the bottom in half and sew the two sides together - this won't show, so don't worry what it looks like.
9. Pin ears to sides of the basket along one of the seams. Sew in place.
10. Cut two pieces of handle felt, 20 x 2 inches each. Pin together and sew along the edges about 1/4 inch in.
11. Pin the handle into the basket, having the ends meet on the bottom and the handle run up along the ears as shown below.
12. Sew into place.
I filled mine with crocheted eggs made from this pattern on the Lion Brand website.
Happy Creating! Deborah
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
I've been making a bunch of those eggs too :-) But, have been trying to decide what I wanted for my little Rosie Posie's basket...may just have found my answer!!! This is SO cute!ReplyDelete
Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [14 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, MariaReplyDelete
oh so sweet! Thanks for sharing!ReplyDelete