Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Beginnings

Welcome to my Art Threads blog!  I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself, what I hope to accomplish in this adventure, and a preview of what you can expect to see beginning Monday.

I don't remember a time when I wasn't making art in some form - I have always been an art student.  You may not believe how many art/craft books I own!  Books were my teachers when I couldn't take classes or workshops - babies and no babysitter, not enough money, no classes in the area, ...  I'm happiest when making something!  I'll be showing you how to make some of my favorite things and you can work along with me discovering how to make new art projects.  I am also a graduate student at Arizona State University in Tempe, working on a Masters degree in Art Education studying the teaching of art in alternative settings.

I have almost always been a teacher of art in one venue or another - workshops, conferences, community/rec centers, public and private schools.  My students have ranged from 3 years to over 90 years old.  I have just finished four years of teaching middle school students in an urban public school.  Teaching inspires and encourages me.

This blog focuses on fiber arts - art made using crochet, embroidery, felting, dye, quilting, sewing, ... pretty much anything from thread or fabric.  So will we be making "art"?  I work from a personal view of art being a creation made with a higher purpose than simply being useful.  The skills needed to make everyday objects with threads and fibers can be used to create art if you also make it to have beauty, to express a feeling or statement, to advance the art form or see how far you can push the limits, and so on.  Some of what we work on in this blog can be used to make art.  Sometimes it's just fun to make stuff!

Mondays I teach a fiber arts skill that can then be used to make something.  If you already know this skill, I hope my ideas will help you think of a new way to use it.  I'll show you related art.

Wednesdays are sewing lessons.  When I talked with people about the ideas I had for this blog, I realized I was assuming most people had a basic understanding of sewing.  I was wrong!  I learned many of my skills from my mother and grandmother and Home Ec classes in jr. and sr. high.  This does not appear to be the norm, now, so we will start at the very beginning - if you already are skilled with the sewing machine, bear with me for awhile.  Trust me - this needs to be done!

Fridays are for inspiration.  I am lucky enough to live in an area that has a rich history in fiber arts and a university with strong fiber arts degree programs.  There are always gallery and museum shows I love to share.  I know several inspiring fiber artists either in person or through the internet.  And I am often inspired by odd things, so you never know what will show up ...

Thank you for stopping by and I hope to see you next week!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

3 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I can't wait for Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Blog you are doing...I can hardly wait to try some of these things with Gina...she is going to adore these projects, she wants to do decorate your Duds in 4-H this year and has been talking tye dye and applique...so now I have a guide :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across this site, and I've been spending hours on here!! I love the instructions, projects, and wide variety of things to do.
    Thank YOu!

    ReplyDelete