Friday, March 16, 2018

Friday Inspiration - Black and White Challenge

This month on Earrings Everyday, Erin Prais-Hintz's We're All Ears Challenge was to work in black and white and explore pattern and contrast.  You can read more about the challenge here.  I created earthenware beads from leaf stamps I made several years back.  By cutting them in various areas of the leaf, I ended up with patterns that have that foilage feel, but aren't necessarily identifiable as leaves.  I stained them with several layers of black and white, refired and then decided to use a honey/beeswax polish on them instead of a finishing glaze in matte or gloss.  For the earrings, I used black nichrome and copper with white glass beads and silver leaves.


I wasn't really sure I was going to like using only black and white - I pretty much live for color!  But I love how these turned out and will be wearing them alot.  I have four more of the beads up in the shop at stoneypointstudio.com.  And you can see Erin's creations and those of others who joined the challenge here.


And while I was looking for other beads and findings to go with this month's challenge, look what I discovered!  I bought these crystals and shamrocks years and years ago intending to make St. Patrick's Day earrings but never did.  So now this very timely find is earrings all ready to go for tomorrow!



Happy Creating!  Deborah

12 comments:

  1. I love the beads you created! Very interesting texture. I adore the black and white as they will go with everything you own! Happy St Patrick's Day! Thanks for playing along with me! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful earrings for the challenge. The texture is so great and definitely abstract. And, those shamrock earrings are just fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm trying to work a little more in abstraction - it's not easy!

      Delete
  3. I love the deep texture effect on your beads, that gives them character and the earrings are just wonderful! And I love happy finds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The great texture is what kept me from using a fired glaze to finish them.

      Delete
  4. Love the texture and the matte finish on the beads you made. They make great earring focals. And Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely earthy black and white earrings. They will go well with lots of outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris! So far they look great with everything!

      Delete
  6. I love the beads you made and how you used them in your earrings!

    ReplyDelete