Friday, November 17, 2017

November Bead Challenge #1

Erin Prais-Hintz's November challenge on Earrings Everyday was to interpret one to four of these inspirational quotes:


Okay - of course I chose "Stars can't shine without darkness."  It's about stars!  I knew I wanted to go with a matte black background, so as little light would be reflected as possible, and white stars and hit it on the first try - well, a couple of tries to get the chalkboard feel.  This is a study in dark and light/black and white - I had the idea to make an old black slate chalkboard and do the stars like chalk drawings.  I remember (with several friends) covering my third grade teacher's, Mrs. Fieldler, blackboard with stars when we figured out how to make them in one motion without picking up the chalk!


I added a clear crystal for sparkle!

I've been hard at work on the next two challenges and also my first Holiday Studio Sale and Open House.  Stay tuned on Monday or Tuesday for the release of the next shop update of holiday and winter beads - and a special offer for you blog readers who aren't local enough to come to the sale!

Be sure to check out how other's interpreted this month's challenge here.

Happy Creating!  Deborah

13 comments:

  1. I remember when I first figured out how to make a star. I love that image of covering the chalkboard with them! Such a triumph! I also love the study in black and white. These are charming earrings that remind me to keep reaching for the stars! Thanks for playing along in the November We're All Ears challenge! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh!! I remember drawing stars at the corners of blackboard late in the day when classes were over. The earrings are really sweet and whimsical - a perfect reminder of simpler times

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful interpretation of the quote! The chalkboard feel is there. I also remember the triumphant feeling of learning to make stars like that too. So glad you incorporated that look into your earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Took a couple of tries to get the chalkboard!

      Delete
  4. Love this starry pair of earrings! Love the childhood memories they bring! And all the star charms and color play!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so stinking adorable!! I love both the drawn stars on the round beads and the little star dangles. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete