Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Remodeled Button Up Shirt

Okay - I promised something lacy for my next clothing remodel and here it is!  I started with a Goodwill $1.00 deal, a great linen/cotton blend button up shirt with rolled up sleeves held by a buttoned placket.  I've been mulling about sewing some type of lacy, linen/cotton shirt based on the fashions I saw in January on Downton Abbey so this was perfect.

First I took off the plackets that held up the sleeves and pinned lace along the bottom hem, the sleeve hems, the pocket flaps, the edge of the collar and the button placket.

The back looked so plain, I added lace to the two back seams and the mid shoulder seam, too.

I sewed everything in place, changed the buttons out for pearl-look ones ....

and a new shirt was born!

And believe it or not, I'm going to leave this one white.  Yep - even my husband was shocked!

Happy Creating!  Deborah


  1. Very pretty! I was scrolling through the photos wondering what the final color would be:)

  2. This looks smashing.........what a great remodelling!

  3. Absolutely wonderful. It makes me want to go through my closet and take a second look with "new eyes" at some of the shirts that I am so tired of.