Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Herbal Rice Pillows - Take Two!
In January, I wrote here about making herbal rice pillows that are heated in the microwave and become cozy and fragrant. I made that one for little c and used a flannel that matched a pair of pajamas I also sewed up for her. It turned out great, she loved it at bedtime, but .... the flannel began wearing out very quickly. So I've been thinking of other fabrics that would still have that soft, cozy feel but hopefully be a bit more durable. Then the other day at Joann's, I was looking at their Easter themed towels and thought aha! Perfect! There were lots of different hand towels for both Easter and Saint Patrick's Day - I chose a pink guest towel with a bunny. This would also work with regular old plain hand towels.
*terry hand towel
*dried white rice
*dried fragrant herbs, such as peppermint or lavender
1. First I cut the hemmed edges off the two long sides of the towel to cut down on bulk when I start sewing the sides up.
2. Pin the sides and sew in a 1/2 inch seam.
3. Turn right side out ...
4. ... and top stitch along the two long sides and one short side (the top of the photo here).
5. Mix the dried herbs into the rice. How much rice you put in depends on how stuffed you want the pillow to be.
6. Fill your pillow ...
7. ... and pin the open edge shut.
8. Top stitch about 1/2 inch in from the open edge and then go over it again to strengthen the seam. And you're done! Easy!!
To use, heat for about 1 to 2 minutes in the microwave. The first couple of times you heat your bag, it may feel a little damp from moisture in the rice escaping.
Happy Creating! Deborah